Agricultural Structure Design

AASCD is available to design conservation practice structures for those Cooperators interested in installing a structural best management practice (BMP) on their land.

Building Permits

Building permits must be obtained from the Anne Arundel County Permit Center. Certain buildings may meet the requirements of an agricultural building exemption in County Code. Please see our Permitting Guide for specific language.

As a summary, in order for your agricultural building to be covered by the building permit exemption, it must meet the following standards:

  1. It must be used for purposes defined in the code (see 105.2 in Permitting Guide)
  2. It must be on a farm that has a current soil conservation and water quality plan, more often referred to as a farm plan. These plans are drafted by AASCD staff in consultation with the farm operator. They include maps of the property and identify farming and conservation practices. All plans must be approved by the District Board and include Cooperators Agreement with the District. There is no fee to have a farm plan drafted for your farm.
  3. It must not be open to the general public, over 40 feet tall, and/or within 60 feet of other buildings.
  4. It must be on land that is either zoned RA or RLD, or be assessed as agricultural by the state.

For assistance in determining whether you structure is exempt, contact the AASCD office. If exempt, submit the Landowner’s Worksheet Guide for Agricultural Structures to Anne Arundel County Inspects and Permits along with a copy of your conservation map from your farm plan. Your map must show the location of your proposed structure.

Designing Agricultural Structures

An AASCD Technician will discuss placement of the BMP with the landowner before surveying for the structure. Once the survey is complete, our Agricultural Engineer will design the structure and will provide the landowner with the design, a list of materials, and a price estimate, all of which may be provided to the contractor of choice.

AASCD requests a good faith deposit on waste storage structures and pond designs due to the length of time required to complete a survey and design for these structures. The deposit is returned to the landowner once the practice is complete.

See below for a list of contractors and good faith deposit forms. Please contact our office if you would like your name to be added or removed from our list of contractors.

List of Contractors

Pond Good Faith Deposit Form

Waste Storage Structure Good Faith Deposit Form

Permitting guide for Agricultural Structures

Ag Structure Worksheet