February 2, 2022 / Program / Keli Kirby
Maryland’s Conservation Buffer Initiative
Back by popular demand, Maryland’s Conservation Buffer Initiative provides farmers with attractive incentive payments to plant streamside buffers on farms to protect water quality.
New this year, farmers can receive up to $4,500 an acre to install riparian forest buffers with pasture fencing. Financial assistance is also available to install deer fencing next to grass buffers. Other features include a buffer option for field ditches, flexible site management, and shorter contract terms.
Three types of buffers are eligible for funding and free technical assistance from local soil conservation districts: riparian forest buffers, grass buffers planted next to waterways or
field ditches, and watercourse access control areas adjacent to pastures.
- Payment rates range from $500/acre for an existing grass buffer to a maximum of $4,500/acre to install a riparian forest buffer with pasture fencing.
- Financial assistance is offered to install deer fencing next to grass buffers.
- Mowing and hay harvesting are allowed; nutrient applications are not.
- Famers receive a one-time payment for enrolled land; contracts are for 5 or 10 years.
- All work must be completed by June 30, 2023.
Apply online or by mail between January 10, 2022, and February 18, 2022.
For more information and application instructions form: Click Here
Application Form: Maryland Conservation Buffer Initiative Application
Nutrient Management Plan Certification: Current Nutrient Management Plan Certification
Special Power of Attorney Form: Special Power of Attorney Form
Certificate of Sole Proprietorship: Certificate of Sole Proprietorship
Certificate of Resolution: Certificate of Resolution